Happy New Year!  I'm hoping to get back to regular blogging next week but wanted to leave you this week with a nice healthy recipe.  Sweet potatoes have been rocking my world for the past couple of months and when I came across this recipe it seemed like the perfect marriage of a warm and healthy meal. The Skinnytaste blog is a great place for healthy recipes and if you are on WW you will love it. I have been a long time fan of WW and what I like about it is that there are no bad foods, you just have to watch your portions and increase your fiber.  I am lucky though because I do love veggies and don't really have too much of a sweet tooth. 
I borrowed this recipe from Skinnytaste but also noticed that this recipe was in this month's WW magazine, however I like using lean turkey over ground beef.
Ingredients:
For the potatoes:
  • 1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup 1% milk
  • 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth*
  • 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
  • salt and pepper to taste

For the filling:
  • 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 8 oz mushrooms, diced
  • 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables 
  • 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth*
  • 2 tsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary
  • salt and pepper
  • paprika
Sweet Potato instructions:

Boil sweet potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water until cooked and soft. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper. 
 

Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a large saute pan brown turkey; season with salt and pepper. When cooked, set aside on a plate. Add olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and sauté one minute. Add the celery, salt and pepper to taste; cook about 12 minutes, until celery is soft.

Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper and mix well. Add frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cooked turkey, and mix well. Simmer on low about 5-10 minutes. 
The original Skinnytaste recipe has you fill six individual dishes but since I only had a baking pan that's what I used and then served portions on a plate. Lastly top the filling with the mashed sweet potatoes and bake for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
And there you have it!  I like to make a nice hearty meal at the end of the week so we have leftovers for a Saturday lunch and avoid the temptation to eat out after running our morning errands.  Let me know if you try it.  It really is an easy recipe, the "hardest" part is the chopping.  I also like this recipe because you can keep these ingredients in your freezer/pantry and make this in a pinch. 
Enjoy your first weekend of the new year!