It seems like the once Halloween hits, all I can think about is having some pie. Luckily B is quite adventurous in the kitchen and decided to make this sweet potato pear pie from the goodies we picked up at our local farmer's market. So here's what he used:
- 2 sweet potatos or 1lb
- 2 pears
- one 9 inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract for a little beachy touch
- some love
Instructions:1. Boil your sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove skin.
2. Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with a mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and coconut extract. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Finally, add sliced pears and pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a soufflé, and then will sink down as it cools.
The original recipe can be found here.
As if this pie were not enough deliciousness, B spoiled me by giving me a scoop of Rocky Road ice cream. Of course you don't need to over do it like we did. But we were having a nesting at home day. A special thanks to B, who amazes me with his cooking ambition.
What's your favorite kind of pie?